Orenco in the News
"Straight pipes, failed drainfields, polluted lakes, out-of-compliance discharge permits, and several other indicators of wastewater management issues are widespread throughout Iowa’s rural communities. In fact, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources has identified more than 500 small communities that lack adequate sewer infrastructure to meet today’s environmental standards.
"Unlike sizeable municipalities, small communities face unique challenges to solving their wastewater problems ... To reduce overall costs, an increasing number of small communities are choosing wastewater management solutions that use alternative technologies, such as effluent sewers."
"In May, Delaware approved Orenco Systems’ AdvanTex Treatment System for residential secondary
wastewater treatment, joining the 40 other states where AdvanTex systems have been approved. Like a
number of other states, Delaware based its approval on NSF Standard 40, which sets out requirements
for evaluation of advanced treatment systems.
" ... Today, jurisdictions must protect surface and ground water resources, limit nutrient inputs to sensitive
ecosystems, and contemplate the effects of pharmaceuticals and pathogens, while dealing with demands
from elected officials and wastewater system manufacturers. Today’s regulator needs to be
armed with data that can, with some level of confidence, indicate how a system will perform in the field,
over a long period of time."
"I retired from publishing info on onsite wastewater disposal with a recent article in Mother Earth News, but I'm still interested in the state of the art. Today I talked to Simon Cartwright, who works for Orenco (at an adjacent booth), the country's foremost manufacturer of septic tank pumps, tanks, and related hardware. He says that typically, in 80% of cases, the soil takes care of pathogens and nitrates, meaning that a conventional gravity-powered tank and leach field will suffice. But for the other 20%, a more advanced system is necessary ...
"Orenco has come up with the AdvanTex system, which replaces the mound with a treatment box that has a footprint smaller than a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. From the box (adjacent to the tank), Orenco prefers that the treated effluent flow into a shallow gravelless leach field."
"Four years ago, the City of Morgan's Point Resort had a wastewater treatment facility in desperate need of renovations. With a 30-year-old wastewater treatment plant and no official office or workspace to speak of, Superintendent Robert Russell set out to overhaul the entire department, starting with the dilapidated treatment plant."
Awards and Recognition
- SHARP Program Completion Award: Orenco recently completed OSHA’s Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP), a five-year certification program for companies that are committed to ensuring a safe workplace for their employees.
- Best Performing Technology, Maryland Department of the Environment, AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- First Approved Nitrogen-Reducing
On-lot System, Verified by NSF, Pennsylvania Technology Verification Program, AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- ACEC Diamond Award East Salem, Pennsylvania, AdvanTex Treatment System
- World's Best Environmental Development, EcoVillage at Currumbin, Australia, Effluent Sewer and AdvanTex Treatment System
- Qualified, Green Building Council's LEED Silver Rating, Esther's Island Retreat, Nantucket, Massachusetts, AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- First Effluent Sewer System in Ireland, Kiltillane, Templemore, Co. Tipperary, Orenco Effluent Sewer and AdvanTex Treatment System
- First Effluent Sewer System in Alberta, Habitat Acres, AB, Canada, Orenco Effluent Sewer and AdvanTex Treatment System
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Detroit, Illinois, AdvanTex Treatment System
- One of Portland Business Journal's "100 Fastest-Growing Companies in Oregon"
- Selected for NDWRCDP Case Studies, Decentralized Wastewater Systems, Mobile, Alabama, Including Orenco Effluent Sewers and AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- GBC's First LEED Platinum-Rated Building, Audubon Education Center, Los Angeles, California, AdvanTex Treatment System
- AIA's "Top 10 Green Buildings 2002,"Island wood Environmental Learning Center, Bainbridge Island, Washington, AdvanTex Treatment System
- Nova Scotia's Municipal InNOVA Award, Little Dover, Nova Scotia, Orenco Effluent Sewer System
- Vermont Engineering's Grand Award, Warren Elementary School, Warren, Vermont, AdvanTex Treatment System
- Statewide Demonstration Project, Alternative Wastewater Systems in Illinois, New Minden, Illinois, Orenco Effluent Sewer System