Orenco in the News
"Many rural communities that use septic systems have outgrown that technology. Some are experiencing widespread failure of aging systems. Others are growing, but their soil conditions won't accommodate additional septic systems. Larger communities want to grow, but their existing sewer systems can't accommodate new connections. In all these cases, neither conventional septic systems, nor gravity sewer systems, are feasible ...
"Together, effluent sewers and media filter advanced treatment form a sustainable and robust system that uses minimal energy, safeguards groundwater and the environment, and imposes costs fairly on the users. Communities of all sizes can benefit from this technology."
"Onsite wastewater treatment may initially evoke thoughts in the minds of many homeowners, regulators, and even civil engineers, of clogged septic tanks and malfunctioning drain fields. However, today’s advanced technologies — when properly applied, designed, installed, and maintained, like any engineered system — can be a better alternative to centralized wastewater collection networks and treatment plants, according to system designers, and they deserve consideration....
"Terry Bounds, P.E., owner and executive vice president, Orenco Systems, Inc., noted, 'The (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s) 1997 Response to Congress on Use of Decentralized Wastewater Treatment Systems identified a number of benefits of onsite systems [that] continue to stimulate the market. Decentralized systems are capable of collecting and treating wastewater to levels that meet or exceed treatment levels from centralized systems, but at a fraction of the upfront costs, and with reduced power and operating and maintenance (O&M) costs.'"
"Homeowners in Roseburg, Ore., wanted to stop the smelly water from ponding in their back yard. Two contractors advised the couple to poke holes in the liner of their sand filter. Instead, they sought a third opinion.
"When Chris Semrau of North Bank Excavation in Roseburg arrived, he found the 18- by 20-foot sand filter in failure. The small fenced-in yard also held a swimming pool, dog kennel, equipment shed, detached garage/office, and four mature oaks. With no room to replace the sand filter, remediation was the only solution.
"Semrau knew that Orenco Systems Inc. in Sutherlin, Ore., was looking for a site to demonstrate its AdvanTex AX20RT three-in-one treatment, recirculating, and dosing tank. Semrau called sales director Darren Simmie, and they teamed up to repair the onsite system. The unit’s design enabled them to keep the existing septic tank and drainfield, while its compact shape expedited installation and minimized disruption."
" ... Today, unless you're backpacking or homeless, your residential footprint is not as amenable to nature's gentle ways. The green lifestyle is gathering momentum, but most modern homes are still non-biodegradable and rely on a centralized infrastructure to bring in light, heat and water, and to send out waste for treatment.
"On that last point, waste treatment, a trend toward living more lightly appears to be taking shape in Portola Valley and Woodside.
"Andrew Brownstone, the president of BioSphere Consulting in Santa Cruz, spoke recently at a Woodside Town Council meeting in support of two properties for which the owners were requesting deviations from local wastewater regulations so they could install alternative on-site waste treatment, but using systems that are not septic tanks."
Awards and Recognition
- SHARP Program Completion Award: Orenco recently completed OSHA’s Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP), a five-year certification program for companies that are committed to ensuring a safe workplace for their employees.
- Best Performing Technology, Maryland Department of the Environment, AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- First Approved Nitrogen-Reducing
On-lot System, Verified by NSF, Pennsylvania Technology Verification Program, AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- ACEC Diamond Award East Salem, Pennsylvania, AdvanTex Treatment System
- World's Best Environmental Development, EcoVillage at Currumbin, Australia, Effluent Sewer and AdvanTex Treatment System
- Qualified, Green Building Council's LEED Silver Rating, Esther's Island Retreat, Nantucket, Massachusetts, AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- First Effluent Sewer System in Ireland, Kiltillane, Templemore, Co. Tipperary, Orenco Effluent Sewer and AdvanTex Treatment System
- First Effluent Sewer System in Alberta, Habitat Acres, AB, Canada, Orenco Effluent Sewer and AdvanTex Treatment System
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Detroit, Illinois, AdvanTex Treatment System
- One of Portland Business Journal's "100 Fastest-Growing Companies in Oregon"
- Selected for NDWRCDP Case Studies, Decentralized Wastewater Systems, Mobile, Alabama, Including Orenco Effluent Sewers and AdvanTex Treatment Systems
- GBC's First LEED Platinum-Rated Building, Audubon Education Center, Los Angeles, California, AdvanTex Treatment System
- AIA's "Top 10 Green Buildings 2002,"Island wood Environmental Learning Center, Bainbridge Island, Washington, AdvanTex Treatment System
- Nova Scotia's Municipal InNOVA Award, Little Dover, Nova Scotia, Orenco Effluent Sewer System
- Vermont Engineering's Grand Award, Warren Elementary School, Warren, Vermont, AdvanTex Treatment System
- Statewide Demonstration Project, Alternative Wastewater Systems in Illinois, New Minden, Illinois, Orenco Effluent Sewer System